This course will teach combinations of dance and vocalization as well as methods for manipulating visual imagery both corporeally and cognitively that constantly push the envelope of what each student is capable of in terms of physical and mental attention.
The course will introduce students to virtual reality (VR) game playing, design and development focusing on cognitive challenges and health. Students will investigate how some dance improvisation systems continually generate new systems, how to edit those systems and format them to be used in different types of media.
If you believe that there is a fundamental interconnection between mind and body and what happens to the body can effectively influence the mind and vice versa, then this class is for you.
Borrowing from principals of Dance/Movement Therapy, students will document personal experiences while dancing and use those experiences to mold movement structures that target specific mental challenges.
Download the syllabus for Neuroscience of Dance Games for Health
- Expose students to different approaches to this subject.
- Experience various elements of somatic techniques, namely Alexander training, Feldenkreis training, pilates training.
- Explore William Forsythe’s Improvisation Technologies movement generating systems.
- Learn William Forsythe’s Red Yellow Blue Green movement/vocal system and create own versions of this system.
- Plan and create prototype of interactive VR game that is a catalyst for cognitive health.
- Generate methods of making methods.