USC Kaufman Seeking a Dance Accompanist for Fall 2017
August 7, 2017
The University of Southern California is seeking applicants for a position as Dance Accompanist for the USC Glorya Kaufman School of Dance. In 2012, USC received a transformational gift from philanthropist Glorya Kaufman to establish a new conservatory-style school of dance. In fall 2015, the school opened its doors to its first cohort of students pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts. USC Kaufman is now seeking to hire an experienced dance accompanist for weekly dance classes. S/he will report directly to the Music Director and will work closely with course faculty leads. Ideal candidates will be virtuosic and highly knowledgeable of dance. Under minimal supervision, s/he will provide piano accompaniment and musical guidance during dance technique, repertory, or improvisation classes. Experience working as an accompanist for dance classes required, as is the ability to communicate clearly with faculty members and to adjust musical styles and tempos accordingly. Experience working in higher education is preferred. The position is fixed-term for one semester, beginning in Fall 2017, and may be renewed.
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Have multiple styles of music (such as classical, popular, theatrical, opera, or contemporary scores), preferably memorized, which can be adapted for the dance classes, including barre, center, and pointe work;
- Improvise and perform music with appropriate rhythms and tempos by observing the movement of dancers;
- Prepare and be consistent in the studio;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to play piano proficiently and follow musical direction;
- Ability to accompany dance groups in their rehearsals and performances;
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of dance accompaniment;
- Knowledge of or ability to learn ballet and contemporary terminology;
- Ability to read musical notations;
- Knowledge of basic understanding of music adaptation, rehearsal, and taping;
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
Prior experience accompanying classes at the collegiate, professional or pre-professional level required.
Two (2) years of experience playing piano accompaniment for dance classes.
Experience and/or education of the same kind, level or amount as required in the minimum
qualifications may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
USC strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity employment. Women and men, and members of all racial and ethnic groups are encouraged to apply. All applicants must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until filled. Please contact USC Kaufman Music Director, Kyle de Tarnowsky, at firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions or concerns.