The minor in Dance presents undergraduate students with a broad yet deep foundation in dance. The program offers a variety of courses in dance technique, history, culture, critical theory, choreography and performance.
The minor is open to all undergraduates and does not require any previous dance experiences. 20 units are required to complete the program. Students applying to this minor must be in good academic standing. Complete information about courses of instruction is available through the USC Course Catalogue.
Required Lower Division Courses (4 units)
- DANC 280g Introduction to Dance as an Art Form (GE-A) – 4 units
Required Upper Division Courses (4 units)
- DANC 342g International and Historical Perspectives in Dance (GE-B) – 4 units
Elective Courses (12 units)
- DANC 103 Conditioning for Dancers (spring only) – 2 units
- DANC 105 Dance Science: Analysis of Movement – 4 units
- DANC 107 World Perspective on Dance Performance – 2 units
- DANC 181a-188b Technique Course (see below) – 2 to 6 units
- DANC 212g Dance in Popular Culture (GE-A) – 4 units
- DANC 285 Elements of Dance Production – 4 units
- DANC 312 African-American Dance(GE-A) – 4 units
- DANC 363g Dancing on the Screen (GE-A) – 4 units
- DANC 362 Pilates Mat Training – 2 units
- DANC 385 Choreography and Performance -2 units
- DANC 432 Creativity, Culture, Commerce and Community – 4 units
- DANC 442 International and Historical Perspectives in Dance II – 4 units
- DANC 452 Dancing with Words – 4 units
- DANC 482 Choreography for Television – 4 units
- DANC 483 Dance Performance – 2 units
- DANC 490 Directed Research – 1 to 12 units
- DANC 495 Dance Internship – 1 to 4 units
- DANC 499 Special Topics (for minors) – 1-4 units
Up to 6 units of dance technique courses may be applied towards the minor. These technique courses in multiple levels, as denoted by the lettering “a, b, c, d”.
- DANC 181abc Contemporary Dance – 2 units
- DANC 183abcd Ballet – 2 units
- DANC 184abc Jazz Dance – 2 units
- DANC 185ab Hip-Hop Dance – 2 units
- DANC 186 Afro-Cuban Dance – 2 units
- DANC 187 Bollywood Dance – 2 units
- DANC 188ab International Style Ballroom Dance – 2 units
- DANC 189ab Tap Dance – 2 units
Students with previous dance experience may place into intermediate (b-level), intermediate/advanced (c-level) or advanced (d-level) courses. Such students may complete and return a Prerequisite Waiver Form—which requires approval by the instructor. If the instructor is not on campus, students may fill out the student portion of the form and return it along with a dance resume or detailed description of their dance training. This information will then be reviewed.
All forms should be submitted to Cameo Beard, Student Services Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.